THE PEOPLES’ THEATRE. Our history
The building opened in 1794 as a Methodist chapel, until it was purchased by the National Association of Boys’ Clubs in 1948.
In 1998, the building was purchased for use as a theatre by Barnsley Theatre Trust.
Under the leadership and enthusiasm of John Kelly and over 100 patrons, subscribers and volunteers ‘The People’s Theatre’ launched in
1999 as The Lamproom Theatre.
A grade II listed building, with continued support, the Lamproom will stand prominent in Barnsley’s cultural future for years to come.
“The Lamproom is the beating creative heart of Barnsley and it’s thanks to our community and army of volunteers that now, two decades on, our beloved theatre goes from strength to strength.”
THE PEOPLE BEHIND THE SCENES.
Technical ManagerPhil Shepherd
Administrative & Box Office ManagerDawn Csurko
Programming & Publicity ManagerJack Land Noble
Senior TechnicianGarry Hunt
Junior TechnicianCallum Arnold
Scenic Artist / Set DesignerKathryn Crookes
Box Office AssistantsTyleri Cole, Nancy Penvose
Front of House ManagerSimon Curley
Bar ManagerStephanie Griffiths
For Barnsley Theatre Trust (1998) Limited
Honorary President –
Chairman & Writer-In-Residence –
John N Kelly
Deputy Chair –
Richard Caile, Janine Dyer, William Fisher, Ian Hey, Dean Love, Graham Myers, Chantele Smith